Susan M. Pesner
Emphasizes real estate transactions, real estate and land development, residential and commercial construction matters, real estate litigation, wills, trusts and estate planning and business transactions.
Ms. Pesner also acts as an expert witness in trials involving liability of real estate lawyers, real estate agents, real estate brokers and settlement agents and litigation involving title matters.
The American University (B.A., 1973); Washington College of Law of The American University (J.D., 1976).
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Chair, Virginia Association of Realtors® Attorney Roundtable (2014-present)
- Member, Council of the Virginia State Bar (1997-2003; 2009-present)
- Member, Executive Committee of the Council of the Virginia State Bar (1998-2003; 2009-2012)
- Member, Northern Virginia Association of Realtors Attorney Roundtable (2011 – Present)
- Chair, (1996-1997) Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar, Real Property Section
- Chair, Ethics Subcommittee Real Estate Section, Virginia State Bar (1991-2014)
- Member, Council of the Real Estate Section of the Virginia Bar Association (1995-2002; 2008-2015)
- Co-Chair, Real Estate Section, Fairfax Bar Association
- Chair, (1999-2002) Lawyers Malpractice Insurance Committee, Virginia State Bar
- Appointed Member of Joint Subcommittee of Virginia State Bar, State Corporation Commission and Virginia Real Estate Board to establish the unauthorized practice of law guidelines for the Consumer Real Estate Settlement Protection Act (CRESPA-effective 07/01/97)
- Member, Title, Conveyancing and Bar Related Title Insurance Funds Committee and Research Task Force, American Bar Association (2007-present)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation; Fellow, Virginia Bar Foundation
Awards and Recognitions
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register for Preeminent Women Lawyers (2013-2015)
- Listed: Who's Who in America
- Best Lawyer, Washingtonian Magazine, 2011-2012
- Virginia Super Lawyers (Real Estate) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (Real Estate), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
- Virginia Top Lawyer, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2011, 2013
- Virginia’s Legal Elite, Virginia Business (2012-2014)
- Recipient, Traver Scholar Award (2008), Virginia Bar Association and Virginia Continuing Legal Education, recognizing outstanding contribution for education of lawyers
Articles / Publications / Seminars
- Webinar/Panelist - In Good Faith: Navigating the New Federal RESPA Rules presented by the American Bar Association, General Practice Division (January 2010)
- Fee Agreements for Virginia Lawyers [Real Estate], 2009 Edition, Virginia CLE Publications.
- How Soon We Forget or Going Down the Slippery Slope-Split Settlement and Lay Settlement Agencies’ Attempt To Act On Behalf of Sellers, The Fee Simple, Newsletter of the Real Estate Section of the Virginia State Bar and the VLTA Examiner (Fall 2008) More